Bardhaman Dot Com
Burdwan, 19 Sep 04:
Over 60 villagers of the Dakshin Damodar (southern
Damodar area) were admitted at the Burdwan Medical
College & Hospital this morning when they were victimised to food poisoning.
42 villagers from Raina block & 24 from the Khandagosh
area were brought to the hospital in two trucks by the
villagers. Hospital sources informed that, condition of
around 12 patients are critical. The intake of prasad
of Mansa puja have resulted in mass food poisoning at
The district health department is yet to send a medical
team at these villages. The director of health services,
Pravakar Chatterjee, CMOH & other health officials were away
to Durgapur & their absence resulted in lack of proper
monitoring of the incidence. The patients, admitted at the
BMCH are been treated for diaorreah. The deputy super of
the hospital, M. Murshed informed that their treatment is
facing a setback due to lack of much needed metronidazole
tablets. "In spite of all oddities, we are trying our
level best to combat the situation" informed the deputy
super. The hospital sources have informed that all of the
patients consumed overnight foods as a part of a ritual.
Biswanath Pal, a villager of Kukura village at Raina block
informed bardhaman.com, "Everyone of our family have
been sick after consuming the prasad yesterday night.
Vomiting & loose motion worsened the situation &
we rushed them to the hospital. We couldn't figure out how
this happened. Although this ritual is practiced for
years, such situation never happened."
The Dakshin Damodar area is known to be homeland of
Uday Sarkar, the sabhadhipati of Burdwan Zilla Parishad.
He informed, "Villagers of Kukura & Narugram area of
Raina - I block have been hospitalised after food poisoning."
He confirmed, "the villagers felt sick after
consuming prasad of Manasa puja & this is not an